Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Outlining Your Book

It can always be a little tedious to outline a project you have, but its worth it if it helps you get your words out on the pages.  Some people don't need to outline.  They are better at free flowing everything, just letting things come to them.  Others really need outlines to keep them on the chosen path.  Some, like myself, are right in between.  We like having a general outline, but only so we have an idea of what needs to happen, but we let everything else come to us. 

For those who like to outline if you have every heard of Save the Cat, its a really good screenwriting book that works just as well with writing books.  It explains how to outline. 
There is also the How to write a book in the thirty days link from guardian.com
http://www.theguardian.com/books/series/how-to-write-a-book-in-30-days

Both are very useful and can be used anytime.  I didn't hear about Save the Cat until I was half way through my last book, and I was at a loss at where to go with it.  But then I read Save the Cat and was able to outline the rest of it and finish my book during Nano of 2013. 

Which ever type of writer you are, find out what you need to have help you, and hit it hard to get your work out on those pages so you can take the next step: editing.

No comments:

Post a Comment