Friday, May 23, 2014

Repetative Words

All of us, well maybe not some of the professionals, have repetitive words we have a hard time staying away from and later have to go back through it and change them to similar words.  Take for example, I have the hardest time getting away from looked and walked and when I am talking about certain things in a subject, I tend to say that word way too often.  It's like, Hey we get, there is a mountain, you don't need to say it seven times. 
The ML of the Idaho Falls Nano group just posted this cool way to help avoid the word very.  Very is another one of those words you want to try to stay away from if you can.  Obviously you might need it sometimes, but instead of say, "he was a very tall man." you could say something like, "The tall man turned to me," or "He was tall..." and maybe add some more description about being gangly, blond hair, or shape of his face or something.
This is not her work, she did not create it, but found it on Stumbleupon at http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1xuHX5/:OzYZcQWB:DUgprGDj/writerswrite.co.za/45-ways-to-avoid-using-the-word-very/

I found it pretty helpful.  Just to give you an idea if you don't understand how it works, the black words are what people tend use very with.  Like "very afraid," or "very angry,"  You can say he was terrified, or furious to get rid of the very.  It's not something you have to use, but it's helpful. 
For me when It comes to my repetitive words, I look up WordHippo.com and I type in what word I need to find another word for and it tells me every noun, verb and other type of word that can replace the word "look" or any word you type in.  I have written down all the ones I know I repeat way to often.  I made posters with the word on it and put them around the wall in my writing area.  That way I can just look at it real quick to get a word I need.
 
This weekend is Memorial weekend.  I hope you all have a wonderful holiday.  Spend it with family if you can.  You never know how long they will be in your lives and you'll want to spend as much time with the as you can.    Happy Memorial Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment