Friday, May 16, 2014

Writers Group

Went to my writers group last night, had a blast.  I really enjoy going and helping each other critique our work. It makes a person feel good when you get comments that confirm what you wanted to portray to the ready.  I was able to edit 11 pages worth of my book in between work yesterday and the day before and I am happy to say there were only minor things that needed help like commas and apostrophe's.  Only a couple clarifications were needed. 

I wanted to share a couple of things to avoid when writing.  Most editors out there hate these words.  There pretty simple words that everyone finds they use and have to readjust there work to conform to the laws of editing. 

Begin,  Ex. "I began to see the mountain."  Better- "I saw the mountain."
Tried,   Ex.  "I tried to back away from him." Better- "I backed away from him."
Was, (This one can be spared here and there, but tends to be overdone.)  "I was playing with the         toys."  Better- "I played with the toys."
 Exclaimed,  "She exclaimed."  Better- "She said"  (I know we all want to put more detail in our work, but the description of the setting, people, clothes, surroundings are the important things to have detail on.  Straight forward dialogue is better than over detailing it and making it cheesy. 
Were, (Also like was, it is over done and very neutral) Ex. "We were going to the pond." Better- "Going to the pond, I saw the orange fall colors flow across the trees." or something like that.

There are more that editors don't always like, and you'll learn more about the different ones to stay away from.  These are just a few that can make a big impact on your work.  When I first learned about it, I could not believe how more active my work had become.

Hope you are having a great day, and I hope you have a great weekend.

Destiny

No comments:

Post a Comment