Friday, October 16, 2015

To Yell or Not to Yell

So recently some things have come up in my family about yelling versus whispering and how they both play out in comparison.  I know that I, like many other moms, have been through the boat of trying to figure out what will work for my child.  "I can ask as many times as I like nicely and it usually results in yelling at the end because they don't want to listen to me."  We've all been there I'm sure.  Parents will have blowouts sometimes, they will get frustrated by the end of the day.  Yeah, I think we have all been there.  So I created some signs I'm going to post around my own home to remind myself every time my brain wants me to yell, to follow the instructions of whispering, not yelling.


 So I want to explain this second picture real quick.  We all know that we need to think before we speak, so that first to do is simple enough to understand.  My thinking is that the sit on the floor might confuse so let me explain.  Have you ever noticed when you are sitting down versus standing when you are mad.  For me personally, I don't get mad as easily and it's harder to get mad on the floor when I can't walk around the room and let all of the thoughts seep into my brain and boil.  When I am on the floor I think of meditation and concentration.  If that one step doesn't work for you, try something else, but something to do in that step that will minimize where your thoughts want to take you.
All in all, I hope this helps anyone who needs it.  I have them posted in my home.  Let me know how it goes and if it really helped you or not and why.  I also have plans to ask my children to help me remember.  Children love to comfort people and if they have something that they can do to help you as their parent, it will not only teach them empathy for others, but also help the two of you connect.




No comments:

Post a Comment